Tuesday, January 3, 2012

German Invasion

This weekend the German I had met at Sticky Rice in DC over the summer was scheduled to visit NYC. I was fine with this, until he asked if he could stay at my place. I had mentioned that if he couldn't find a hostel he could sleep on our short couch, of course not really meaning it. But being the pushover that I am, I agreed when he actually asked. I immediately had major qualms, considering I barely knew this guy and even considered making up a story about why he couldn't stay. But surprisingly when I spoke with my mother about it, she told me that I should let him stay, since I already told him he could and I knew how hard it could be to live in a foreign country. Feeling guilty, I begrudgingly agreed to host him at what was now my Brooklyn Bed and Breakfast.
German was scheduled to get in around 9 on a Friday night so I figured that gave me time to meet JM and her coworkers in the Financial District for some happy hour drinks. At least I could take the edge off, since I really had no idea of German's intentions while staying with me.
I met them at Ulysses, which was filled with hot guys, and was sulky when they decided to leave and head to another bar. We settled in and I looked around at the cast of characters which would make up my evening. JM, of course, a girl originally from Bed Stuy with a matching attitude, a guy who looked like he played A LOT of Magic the Gathering, a semi cute guy, and his friend, who was a lawyer who reminded me a lot of my own law school hookup, and not in a good way. I sighed and took the free beer which was handed to me. Luckily the lawyer stepped it up and bought us a couple free rounds of shots, since I could tell he had his eye on JM.
Before I knew it it was time to head uptown to meet the German. I said that I would meet them all later, since I did not want to be out with this guy alone. Once retrieved, it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. The German could carry on a good conversation and didn't even seem to mind when I distractedly got on the wrong train and we had to run off at the last minute. He didn't seem too disgusted by the Shwick as well and even gave me a little Thank You present of some Lindt Christmas chocolates (I immediately put the little santa hat that adorned it on the cat and cracked up like a crazy person).
We left shortly after to meet JM and crew in Williamsburg for a party they had decided on. We got off at the Lorimer stop and somehow located were they were, which was outside on a corner. The Lawyer was missing and I couldn't really tell what had happened to the party, or if there had ever been one. Everyone was pretty wasted, especially the semi cute guy, so German and I had a lot of catching up to do. We took turns drinking the beer we had bought (very discreet in the brown paper bag) and corralled everyone to Union Pool. There was a short line out front and when a hipster saw us approaching he actually said that JM and I were too tall and too pretty to be going to this bar. I decided to play it up and went right to the front and walked in. It was filled to the brim with hipsters but still a cool place, with a huge backyard which contained a giant fire pit and multiple food carts. It was too cold to be out there though so we claimed a spot by the entrance. The girl from Bed Stuy suddenly ran up to a girl wearing a fur jacket claiming she wanted to pet it. I turned to the German and we agreed these people were far more wasted than either of us. Right at this moment the semi cute guy (the most wasted of them all) was yelling "Yea girl...YEA GIRL!" right in the face of a terrified-looking girl walking in. Suddenly the Lawyer appeared out of nowhere and things escalated even more. He bought a round of shots of Jack Daniels (wtf)  which we all later agreed did us in. He also had a girl with him who he introduced as his girlfriend to me and as his friend to JM. He also kept telling the German, "welcome to America"...very douche bag-like. The semi cute/wasted/yelling guy had disappeared for the night so we decided to head to another bar, Pete's Candy Store, which isn't nearly as cool as it sounds. On the way out we ran into the one-handed kid. (As a refresher, he is the one who met us out the night JM and I had to run from the Russians and who we randomly ran into the night we had to run from the Aussies). Luckily we didn't have to run from anyone this night, but we did have a stupid hipster girl give us major attitude when we asked for directions to the bar. Once there the Lawyer had somehow deposited his "friend" along the way and was giving JM the lookover. One-handed Stalker was busy chatting with some other girls, so I figured this was our chance. Claiming I felt like I was going to throw up, I gathered the German and JM and we separated ourselves. The three of us headed back to the Shwick and got delish breakfast sandwiches from the organic store. JM was staying the night and the German was going to be sleeping on his air mattress in the living room. Except that he had supposedly forgot one of the pieces to inflate it....this did not change the fact that the German was going to be sleeping on his air mattress in the living room. I threw an extra blanket on the floor and demonstrated that it wasn't that uncomfortable. Sobriety hit me at that moment I was rolling around on the ground and I realized I was probably flashing my butt to the two of them. I awkwardly stood and quickly went to bed.
JM left early the next morning and the cat kept the German company by sitting on the couch and staring at him the whole morning. His comment: "yes, she is watching me" (in a German accent).I wasn't sure what the hell the two of us were going to do for the day but luckily he liked my suggestion of the Central Park Zoo. I love zoos and was delighted when we were able to see a giant polar bear walking around and sea lions making sea lion noises on top of their rocks. Afterwards we stuffed our faces with Chipotle and then vetoed the idea of going to the Top of the Rock, once we found out it was $25.
Luckily Russian Rocher had plans in store for us--she was meeting up with some friends doing a bar crawl. Not really knowing what else to do and wanting to escape the cold, I said we would meet her in Soho. Of course it turned out to be at Spring Lounge, which was Ibanker's bar of choice. Slightly terrified that I would see him, I decided I needed to man up and we headed inside anyway. He was nowhere to be found, but that did not stop me from nervously checking over my shoulder the entire time. After, though, I was pretty proud of myself for facing my fear. The next stop on the bar crawl was right down the street, and the three of us stood chatting with one of the bar crawl members, who was a complete dork. I was getting tired and grumpy at this point so I said I was going home to nap and we would meet them out later. I'm sure they were skeptical but it was imperative that we went out that night (awkward night in with the German? nope!) so I kept my light on while I napped and set two alarms. I then corralled him back into the city where we re-met Russian Rocher and the dorky guy at Penny Farthing. The crowd was filled with NYU freshmen but we still managed to have a decent time. I also spotted one of Mason's friends in the corner, but couldn't remember his name, so I decided to use that as my excuse to avoid an awkward convo. Our next stop was the Ninth Ward, which is probs my new fav bar. While there we called Please Don't Tell on the off-chance they had a table available. The hostess bitchily informed us there was not, but we decided to check in person. And what a good decision because as soon as the phone booth opened she led us right over to a table for all of us. I was pleased and very excited to order their delish tater tots. Russian Rocher spotted one of her coworkers and her date walking in so they ended up sitting with us as well. The date was seriously one of the most attractive men I've seen (and also turned out to be a male model) and I felt like a complete creeper b/c I know I kept staring at him the whole night. Our table jovially closed out the place and good thing, because at that point I was exhausted.
The next morning the German left early and I was surprised to have the day to myself. I took care of some errands around the apartment before I grew restless. I decided to head to Port Authority to change my bus ticket home for Thanksgiving (the next weekend). This is also close to Mason's apartment--killing two birds with one stone. After informing him I was in the area, we walked to go get food and ended up at Empanada Mama. I was a little dismayed at this choice, and also at the fact that our conversation was strained. I suppose it didn't help that the table next to us contained two yelling pieces of NYC white trash. Things did not improve throughout dinner, nor at the end when we split the bill and went our separate ways. Things did not look good at this point, and I left for Thanksgiving worried that this could be the end of our romance.....

No comments:

Post a Comment