Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Oh, it's a new year you say?

                                                           Happy New Year Bitches!

They always tend to sneak up on you. Luckily this year I had some solid plans to ring in 2012. Yahtzee and Deux were having a party at their apartment, which is exactly what I wanted for NYE--a house party with plenty of free booze. I had just arrived that morning from my red eye from California, so after sleeping all day and a trip to the liquor store for champagne, I was good to go. I set out in my gold sequined shirt and met up with JM and her friend, Flower, on the way to the East Village. The party was popping and all the usual suspects were present--Yahtzee of course, Deux, whom I was trying to avoid, the Eagle and the boob ice luge, which was also present at Yahtzee's bday party over the summer (see Yahtzee). I grabbed an overflowing red cup-full of their potent punch and began to make my rounds, all the while trying to get out of taking shots from the boob luge. The Eagle and I ended up talking for most of the night though, just like at 1 Oak a couple weeks before. Again, he was a slightly nerdy and not all that interesting investment banker, but for some reason I liked him. I noticed JM and Flower talking about us and giggling and I was seriously afraid that when the clock struck midnight they were going to try and force the Eagle and I to share a NYE kiss. Luckily this did not happen, as JM planted a kiss on my lips before anyone else could. She had had quite a few shots from the boobs and was pretty wasted. Though I was in no situation to judge, since I was carrying around an entire bottle of champagne, all for me. This is what led me to start speaking to Deux--apparently I really needed to ask him how his very cute lab was doing. He was very receptive and we began to chat, until JM rounded the corner and spotted us. She ran up to me shaking her head and wagging her finger. Very suavely, I announced that I had to pee and ran off to the bathroom. When I exited I saw Deux and the Eagle mid-convo, and I did an about-face and went in the opposite direction.
This is when JM and Flower left me to go find food. I was not through partying and was still on California time so I decided to stay. I still had the Eagle by my side for company and he had discussed heading out to another bar, since the party was winding down (the nips were running dry!). He gathered together a group of people, none of whom I knew, and I made the executive decision that we would go to the 9th Ward. There was no cover and I was handed a Purple Haze as soon as I entered. A delight. The Eagle and I split off from the group at one point and chatted at a table, just the two of us. I then proceeded to lose my jacket, until he located it at the table where we had been sitting. The whole time I was chuckling to myself, as I used to do the same thing with Ibanker. We then all decided to try and go to PDT (apparently my nights have a pattern) but the street was blocked off because of the Occupy Wallstreet protesters (I'd put my money on them all eating at Yaffa Cafe). So the Eagle and I went for late-night cheeseburgers, and then back to Yahtzee's to pee, where we ran into him on the walk back. He was wasted and cursed at us for no reason, which was our cue to call it a night. We parted ways at Union Square and I spent my subway ride talking to an Australian guy (which I do not normally do, but I had just left Aussie and missed her). A classic NYC night for my transition to 2012.

I had the next couple days off (part-time work will do that) and I was spending it with my cousin and her husband. They were back in town, and luckily this time around stressing me out much less (see Weekend with  some Fam). They pretty much just requested me to take them out at night and then I could stay in their hotel suite, which was fine with me. The first night, which was New Year's Day night, I led them to the West Village, thinking we could go to Poisson Rouge. Except to my chagrin, it was closed. As a backup I led them to the Dove, which was open but completely empty. We grabbed a drink and luckily Hus decided our next move--the Bitter End, a classic NYC spot, where pretty much every famous singer from the 60s and 70s played. I had of course never been, as it's not really my scene, but it turned out to be interesting. It was open mic night, but most of the people up there were actually pretty good. We ended up sitting at a table in the very front, directly in front of the stage, which was a bit awkward. The musicians were an assortment of characters, including a crazed Southern man, who was clearly a former rocker and still tried to dance like one.  There was a Jon Stewart look-alike and also a guy who looked creepily like our Aunt (Cous and I had a good chuckle over that one). After I introduced them to Artichoke pizza before we headed back to the Suite.

Our second night took us to Midtown, not far from their hotel. I had decided that the Library Bar in the Hudson would be a good spot, since they had considered it for their NYE plans. After trucking around in the cold I met them inside and we ordered our fancy drinks and took a seat at a group of chairs nearby. Not five seconds later, a short balding guy asked if he could sit at our fourth seat, even though there were plenty of other seats nearby. I was not pleased and was even less so when Cous and Hus started chatting with the guy. They work in entertainment so are naturally friendly with people, whereas I am not, but I felt obligated to not act like a bitch in front of family so I halfheartedly joined the convo, which was pretty much him talking about how much money he makes and how he goes to the clubs in Meatpacking. Doubt it buddy--if I can't get into some of those clubs, you certainly can't. We entertained this asshole for a bit longer, until we decided to head to another place. I knew it was coming but was still thrown off guard when the guy asked for my number. Not knowing what else to do, and pretty embarrassed in front of the fam, I relented and gave it to him. And this is where my New Year's Resolution was made--just say no to guys I'm not interested in. This way I can avoid feeling uncomfortable and slightly disgusted when he calls me 8 times over the next month (with a follow up text, "call me" after every one) and I ignore it all. Maybe this is bitchy of me, but what makes him think that we would be a good match? He had mentioned in his blabbing that he needed to marry a Jewish girl--I definitely don't look Jewish, so there is only one thing he could possibly be interested in. Unfortunately I am not outwardly bitchy, and I should've just politely declined. Or made up a fictitious boyfriend. Either way, hopefully with some hard work on my part, this new year can weed out some of the d bags from my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment