Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Ski Trip (Part DEUX)

Once everyone had had their fill of skiing, a few of us stopped by the local grocery store to pick up food for dinner, which ended up being a massive feast. I somehow ate 2 huge cheeseburgers and drank a bunch of beer and was still standing. I was a bit concerned about having to put on a bathing suit later that night, but apparently the friend who met us earlier in the day at Killington wasn't. His response when I said I wouldn't play hands-free flip cup after dinner because I was wearing a white shirt was that I should simply remove my shirt. No thanks, guy. We did play some other card games but the mix of the huge dinner and the long day outdoors was making everyone a bit lethargic. Russian Rocher and I had a conference downstairs and decided that this party needed to pick up. We changed into our suits (despite my food baby) and ran upstairs. There were no shot glasses in the house but there was plenty of tequila, so I poured shots into wine glasses and doled them out. I did not measure well, so it looked everyone was drinking a glass of chardonnay instead of tequila.
After, it was hot tub time where we managed to squeeze 9 people into it and a very wasted Deux managed to spill an entire drink down my back. As we all sat uncomfortably close to one another, our topics of choice included my blog, how it was unbelievable that all of the spice girls were still alive and how we were probably all going to get a staph infection from the hot tub, which was beginning to smell strongly of mildew. We slowly started to trickle inside and someone put Zoolander on the tv. I was the last one sitting in the hot tub and by the time I got inside I was disgustingly wrinkly. While I had been roasting outside with a couple of the others, the people inside had started to couple up--Russian Rocher and her guy, as well as JM and the guy's roommate were all getting pretty cozy. Now I was slightly disappointed in the Eagle. We had been talking a lot the past few weeks when we all had gone out, but we had barely spoken on this trip. I had been prancing around in a bathing suit the whole time and he had even walked in on me in my underwear, to no avail. A couple minutes after I sat down with everyone in the living room, he announced he was going to bed and quickly locked himself in his room (his own room!). I gave up--perhaps the Eagle was a bit too boring for me anyway. Plus I had noticed when he was laying on the couch that his hair was not as full as it looked from the front. A Bald Eagle!
Now Deux was throwing back beers in lightning speed and was quickly getting more wasted. I laughed at him while he tried to eat a leftover cheeseburger, which he had piled high with salsa, and could barely stand.
                                                              Blackmail shot
Back in front of the movie he sat next to me and pounded a beer. He then very slyly tried to hold my hand. I contemplated it for one milli-second, until I realized that he had passed out in the chair. I then decided it was absolutely time to call it a night. I woke up early in the morning and noticed a guy in the bunk bed across the room from me. It couldn't have been Deux since he had spent the night in the chair. I put my glasses on and for some reason, decided it was Yahtzee, even though in the full light of day it was revealed that it had been Russian Rocher's dude the whole time. Whaaat.
Half the group split off from us to spend the last day skiing. I had vetoed this immediately. I ate the breakfast that Yahtzee and the Eagle cooked and then crafted my message for the cabin guest book. It reads as follows:


WHAT a weekend! 11 single people in one house makes for some interesting times. Especially when you have the Ultimate Dance Party-1997 cassette to set the mood. We left it behind as a gift, so hopefully future cabin go-ers have the same luck. We also enjoyed our time skiing and it was a success because no one died. Afterwards we took a rejuventating dip in the hot tub (yes, we fit 9 people in it, beat that bitches!), which, fyi, is starting to smell a bit mildewy. We will keep our fingers crossed that there are no staph infections in our future.
Thank you for letting us use your cabin to escape the rats and garbage of NYC for a glorious mountain retreat. For the rest of my life, the wafting aromas of booze and bacon will remind me of this weekend. We heart Vermont.

Xoxo,
“Our initials”

It was time to put the cabin behind us. We split off even further. My carload was the four main girls--me, JM, Russian Rocher and her friend. We wanted to try tubing, so we drove to the place and were thoroughly disappointed when the hill was barely a hill and filled with children. We vetoed it and decided on the next best activity--visiting the Long Trail brewery. Indoor booze, so I was pleased. It turned out to be cute as shit. Next to a river, with a heated deck and a campfire, plus awesome food and a delish sampler of beer. I thought of the other suckers, freezing up on the mountain, while we were cozy inside and I was pleased with our decision and with Vermont. This took an abrupt turn when I took a wrong turn when leaving the brewery, to head back to NYC. The GPS led me up a small road next to a river. It was growing steeper and icier and there was no guardrail. Before I knew it, the road was barely wide enough for the car and my wheels were making bad noises on the ice. I was terrified we were going to plummet down the cliff into the river. We came to the top of the crest which I thought was the light at the end of the tunnel. It turns out, it was a dead end. I could go no further so I had to back down this icy road of death until there was enough space for me to do a 27483 point turn, to turn around. We slid the whole way back down the hill with me cursing the whole time. We made it without falling to our death and it was then that I couldn't wait to get the hell out of Vermont and back to the City. We were of course stuck in traffic for most of the way home and by the time I drove into Manhattan the Volvo was making a terrifying high-pitched squeaking noise. We had made it home alive and though I enjoyed my journey into the countryside, I was glad it was only for a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment