Sunday, February 26, 2012

Notable Nights in NYC

The first was a weeknight where GF successfully convinced me to meet him out. He was on a "date" at Flaming Saddles and apparently wanted some company to coincidentally drop by to help alleviate the awkwardness. So off to Hell's Kitchen I went where I met GF and the "date", a much older, but extremely nice and successful guy. It turns out he went to the same college and was in the same frat as my crazy friend from Hamburg (the third member of Team USA), which was a strange coincidence. After buying us a couple rounds of drinks, he headed out and GF and I took the train to the West Village where he wanted to meet up with a former fling. We figured we would be heading to a gay bar, we were just surprised at the type of gay bar. It was filled with waaay too many women and when GF made a comment, we were informed it was a lesbian bar. That explained its name, the Cubby Hole. Ehhh.
So instead of letting lesbians hit on me and buy me free drinks I went the opposite route and yelled at one for cutting in the bathroom line. It's amazing I did not get my ass beat. The former fling was with his best girl friend. I had met the two of them before, months ago, and I happen to love this girl. She was hilarious and kept yelling that this bar "was the tits!". She also listens to me rant about stupid guys that I'm dating/have dated. We had a couple of drinks and even though GF tried to convince me to stay out, I knew I needed to call it a night early, since I had to work the next day.
Later this week I also went out with Russian Rocher. She is very in the know, and was privy to a private party at one of Meatpacking's most exclusive clubs, the Boom Boom Room. There is no way in hell I ever would've been able to get in on my own so this is why I agreed to go out, late night, on a Tuesday. After work we met at a gallery opening for some free booze and then hit up a Mexican place in the West Village for dinner. That killed enough time so that we could make it to the party on time, but not too early. We stood in the short line and watched people being turned away who were not on the list. Luckily we were, and we were let in. We took the elevator up to the penthouse (Boom Boom is located on top of the Standard Hotel) and were let out into an opulent space, with views of Manhattan on one side and New Jersey on the other.
                                                                                Ballllllla
Unfortunately being in surrounding such as these comes with a price--drinks were almost $20. Russian Rocher and I bought one and nursed it the entire night. Every girl there is also absolutely gorgeous so the guys weren't exactly rushing to buy us drinks. The people-watching was phenomenal. The waitresses resembled Greek goddesses, and I witnessed an old black man in sunglasses and a cape dancing with a Heidi Klum lookalike wearing a woman's tuxedo. Even the bathrooms were ridiculous--each one had a floor to ceiling window facing out over the NYC skyline. So you were literally peeing looking out over New York (and since I am scared of heights, I was slightly terrified).
Russian Rocher had been able to get us on the list courtesy of her friend's brother, who throws parties at clubs in Meatpacking. Both were there, both were French and both were super nice. I talked to the brother for awhile on the rooftop, while the gaggle of Aussie girls they were friends with smoked cigarette after cigarette. They were all very nice though and I felt bad when I acted super awkwardly when one told me her grandmother had just died. I am the wrong girl for things like that, and I had to stop myself from saying something along the lines of  "Well, that's to be expected". Another ehhhh. RR and I made a night of it and I didn't get home until nearly 3:30am, when I had to wake my roommate up because I had left my keys in my other purse. Well worth it for my one night at the Boom Boom Room!
Russian Rocher, GF and I tried our hands at being VIP again, courtesy of the same French guy, a couple weeks later. We had been put on the list for another exclusive club in Meatpacking and I was pleased. GF and I had just found out we had both gotten jobs and we were out to celebrate. And celebrate we did, by popping a bunch of adderall and drinking too much at his apartment beforehand. I am pretty sure his roommate wanted to kill us when we were both screaming out stories about our shenanigans at 100 miles an hour. Then we met Russian Rocher in Meatpacking, whom I think was as equally overwhelmed. When we arrived, we were greeted by a huge, surly-looking bouncer with a checklist. RR informed we were on the list and he smugly told us he was not using the list tonight. He also did the same for the people behind us. Even when we called the French guy to come out the bouncer was a dick to him and wouldn't let any of us in. Oh, Meatpacking. Remember the scene from Knocked Up when she yells at the bouncer for only having power between midnight and 4am or whatever? This guy exactly. What a douche bag.
After being rejected from yet another club in Meatpacking, we headed to one of the only normal bars in the area, the Tippler. Things there were fine until they escalated. A very drunk, older guy came up to me and asked if I wanted a drink. Not sure if I should accept, I turned to GF and he signaled for me to do it. I tried to  half-heartedly make conversation with the guy as he ordered our drinks. I chimed in ones for RR and GF as well and this is when his mood turned. He yelled that he wasn't going to be paying for those drinks and I told him that there were for my friends and they would of course pay. In the confusion, the bartender poured too many and the guy began to get angrier. I decided I needed to remove myself from that situation immediately so I turned to GF and RR and told them we were leaving. The three of us basically ran out of the bar, leaving the horrible angry man with 4 shots and 2 drinks, all unpaid for. I don't normally do stuff like that, but this guy was a real ass and deserved it.
Feeling dejected we for some reason decided to try our luck at Le Bain, the other club on top of the Standard Hotel, and also notoriously hard to get into. The gods were finally smiling at us, and we were let in, no questions asked. To celebrate GF ordered us a round of shots and drinks, which cost him over $100. We went to dance and after a few minutes, I realized that all the adderall mixed with alcohol was not a good idea. I apparently left to go to the bathroom twice in 10 minutes and I don't remember any of this. I guess GF and RR were concerned and decided that we should leave. Once again, my drunkface ruins the party. We had a good time while it lasted though.
I stayed at GF's that night and in the morning decided to get brunch at Schiller's. Except I only had my little dress, lacy tights and heels from the night before to wear. I decided I might as well really go for it, so I neither brushed my hair nor my teeth and left his apartment with makeup smeared all over my face. We walked in and a woman looked me up and down, with a disgusted look on her face. While we were waiting to be seated, I loudly thanked GF for taking me to brunch "since they don't normally do that", making sure she could hear. Luckily we were sat right near her, so all throughout brunch, and every time the waitress came up, GF would ask me questions like "So how long have you lived in New York?" or "So what do you do?". We were cracking ourselves up and they soon digressed into the raunchy, such as "Don't worry, that rash should clear up soon". I'm sure that woman did not approve, but what else can you do when you're wearing lacy tights at 11am? At least I didn't really have a one night stand. This time.

No comments:

Post a Comment