Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Ski Trip (Part Une)

This had been in the works for awhile and now the time for a weekend ski trip to Vermont had arrived. I am not a skier, but the opportunity to spend a weekend in a cabin with a hot tub enticed me. Yahtzee and Russian Rocher had done most of the planning. Other notables that would be coming along were the Eagle, JM, and Deux, which I was not too happy about. We made up the first two cars and there was a third filled with new characters. An overview: a girl who was good friends with Yahtzee and Russian Rocher, who I had met before. Also, a guy who had history with Russian Rocher and was also present at our 1 Oak night. His roommate was coming along as well as their friend, a girl with a guy's name. She also had a guy friend who was going to be meeting up with us in Killington. So that makes for 11 single people in one cabin--shit was bound to go down.
I happened to be one of the drivers for the trip, as I had my Volvo in town for awhile. JM and Russian Rocher were scheduled to go in my car but at the last minute there were some changes and Deux ended up replacing RR. I was not pleased at this one bit because of the brief history with us but I knew I couldn't say anything so I reluctantly agreed to transport him. I'm sure he sensed my annoyance, so he was on his best behavior for the trip. He even bought me a red bull at a reststop. I happen to hate red bull, but I suppose it's the thought that counts. He also joked around when I paid more attention to my ipod than the road and at one point almost drove into a ditch. Five hours later we pulled up to the cabin in Killington. I had driven the whole way by myself, mostly to rub in Yahtzee's face, since when I told him I didn't like to drive long distances he sent out a mass email to the group telling them I failed my road test twice and didn't like night-driving (both false). So take that Yahtz!
I parked my Volvo next to the Eagle's Audi, noting how yuppie we looked. The third car wasn't due to arrive for awhile so the six of us claimed our rooms and hung out. The cabin was pretty cool, but a little retro. This meant that there was no ipod dock, just an oldschool cd player with a tape deck. Luckily I had something that could help us out. I had some cassettes from 7th grade that I kept in my car. They were:
1) The Spice Girls
2) Ace of Base and
3) Ultimate Dance Party 1997.
 Real gems. I of course brought them inside and put one on. But they had apparently been sitting in my car for so long that they had warped, so the song would be playing normally and then all of a sudden slow down to a terrifying level. Ace of Base, with its early 90s dance beats, was the most hilarious. The Eagle looked especially horrified so I of course took the liberty of playing these cassettes for the rest of the weekend, especially to wake everyone up in the morning.

The six of us had a few drinks and then decided to go in the hot tub for awhile, to wait for the others to arrive.  It was on the deck so you had to run barefoot over ice and it was so hot when I jumped in that I screamed. We all squeezed in and Yahtzee, who had grown a little tipsy, set his phone down, at what he claimed was a safe distance from the water. Apparently he didn't notice that it was now laying in a pile of snow. We stayed in for about an hour, which is definitely not a healthy amount of time. When the last car pulled in we all decided to head to bed since we were only getting about 4 hours of sleep before we needed to be up for the day. I was not pleased about waking up early and even less so when I thought about how I would be spending the day outside, doing exerting physical activity. The Eagle helped to ease my pain by getting up before everyone and making waffles on his waffle-maker that he had brought (I chuckled when I pictured him walking down the streets on New York with it, swinging it like a briefcase).
Now I had been set on learning to ski, just in case I married rich and needed to take ski trips. But I had a revelation that if I stayed in New York, the odds of me marrying at all were slim to none, so I decided that that day I would be snowboarding. I used to in high school but I hadn't been in about 8 years. I knew this wouldn't be pretty, but figured it was better than getting really pissed off in front of everyone when I was unable to even stand up on skis.
Turns out I did slightly better than I thought I would, despite looking like a complete douche bag in my horrible ski outfit I had thrown together. It was a strange feeling to be back on a snowboard. I was always pretty terrible but I did make it down the greens. I just get terrified when I start going to fast, plus I am the least athletic person in the world, so this activity only interests me for about an hour. I pushed through and made it to the end of the afternoon. Of course on my last run, I ate it so hard twice, almost snapping my wrist and bruising my left butt cheek. I had had enough--time to head to the lodge for some hot toddies and wait for everyone to regroup. To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment