Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Weekend 4

Weekend 4:

Friday night- Again, despite my ridiculous behavior the weekend before, ibanker surprisingly accepted my invitation to a museum event. We meet outside the museum and enter the rotunda, which contains some of the best people-watching I’ve been exposed to. One girl was wearing a tutu. We head straight for the bar and its massive line before realizing we need tickets. We get to the front, order and ibanker runs back to buy the drink tickets, while I stand there as “collateral”. He runs back shoves the tickets at the man and drops one in the pitcher of orange juice. We chuckle and quickly walk away with our drinks. We review the weekend before, finish our drinks and decide to see the exhibit—this involves me looking at the art while he follows me, checking his blackberry. We leave soon after to make our dinner reservation in the East Village. After trucking around in my heels looking for the place, we are rewarded with an epic tapas dinner. We wildly over-ordered and were there for about three hours. In this time we chatted pleasantly and I saved a girl from catching her coat on fire. Afterwards we headed back to Lilly's, ibanker's bar of choice (this is the third time I had been there with him) before settling in, in Union Square, in his apartment above a shoe store, with stainless steel appliances and floor-to-ceiling windows in his room.


Saturday night- I decided to counter-balance the previous night's class with something a bit grittier this night—hipsters. An old friend from high school had invited me out. He was my punk friend who wore wood glue in his hair, whom I had met at a punk show at the local community center. He was currently living in Brooklyn and we hadn't met up yet. After a miscommunication and the slowest N train ever, I arrived to meet him in Union Square 45 minutes late. Walking quickly and with my head down, in case ibanker was around, I walked to the corner to meet him. We hug and he informs me his friend and his girlfriend will be joining us. Apparently I had unknowingly walked into a double-date. I turn to introduce myself to the friend and surprise! We are already acquainted. Well in fact, as we had hooked up in Myrtle Beach on spring break during senior year of high school. We kept that fact to ourselves and shook hands awkwardly. His girlfriend is from the same town as my cousins and of course knows them. How is my city so small, even when in NYC?? We decide to get food and I agree that a second dinner couldn't hurt. We begin our walk to (of course) the East Village. On the way there, I see a shady looking man stumbling down the sidewalk. He spots hipster friend and heads straight for him. “Hey give me that jacket!” he demands, grabbing at Hipster's leather coat. Hipster objects and tries to dodge him. Shady man gets in his face and begins to yell. Hipster is more agile than he looks and dodges him and we quickly cross the street. “Fuck y'all, you dicks!” Shady Man yells in parting. We laugh, though poor Hipster is visibly shaken. We arrive at the restaurant and Hipster ends up ordering a sandwich with basically a vat of hummus poured over it. We poke fun and afterwards head to a bar where the girlfriend tells a story about her friend's poodle who wears a bomber jacket. Since I think dogs in clothes are one of the funniest things ever, I basically pee my pants laughing. We then head home and I take the subway back to Astoria by myself (and survive).

No comments:

Post a Comment