Sunday, July 1, 2012

Free Steak Dinner

This ended up taking place on the last night that Jersey last cancelled on me. And thank god he did because I had a way better time than I ever would have had with him. Yahtzee had texted me earlier in the day, inviting me to his work happy hour that evening. Immediately after Jersey's cancellation I confirmed with Yahtzee that I would be accompanying him. Our offices are a couple blocks away from each other, so I met him on his corner after work. He was with a dorky Asian co-worker and it had just started to rain. I wasn't expecting much from the night, especially when we squeezed into the jam-packed C train to get to Meatpacking. Yahtzee is probably the only investment banker who will take the subway when he can obviously afford a cab.

When we emerged from the subway the rain had turned into a torrential downpour and none of us had an umbrella. We waited under an awning of a building with about 35 other people but it showed no signs of letting up. We were starting to get discouraged when Yahtzee got a text from one of his other coworkers, who turned out to be right around the corner from us in a car. It was like a scene from a movie--within seconds a towncar pulled up and the three of us hopped in. The guy was waiting for us in the backseat and thanked his driver for picking us up. He was a bit older, in his 30s at least turned out to be married with kids and living in Jersey. The other coworker who met us was the same deal, but they both joked around like frat guys and I kind of loved it. The happy hour was being held at Catch, which GF had been wanting to go to for ages. It was quite the scene and loaded with dudes in suits. I was one of the only girls present and I felt eyes on me as I walked in. We all stood at the bar chatting. Yahtzee's old boss showed up and it was just me and the boys drinking. I was having drinks handed to me and I was pretty happy about the whole situation, except for the fact that Yahztee was basically insinuating that we had hooked up in Croatia when asked how the two us had met. I guess the reason for my invite was to be his faux-date for the night.

I was planning to leave after drinks to meet up with Atl for one of GA's events. But then one of the coworkers mentioned grabbing dinner around the corner at STK, which is a fancy steak place. I was overjoyed and sent Atl the following text: "free steak dinner. boom. I'm out", which she apparently loved. The restaurant was very crowded but when we walked in we were led to a huge table in the corner, even though there were only 6 of us. This turned out to be one of the most ridiculous dinners I have ever had. They ordered every appetizer on the menu just to start. Then onto steak and then dessert, and all the while the wine was flowing. They ordered at least 10 bottles and at one point I had four glasses in front of my plate, all for me. Yahtzee's old boss was sitting across from me who at one point informed me that the wine I was drinking was "very, very good wine", while staring at me intently. As creepy as this sounds I had spoken to him earlier in the night and he was very nice. He was in his fifties and bald but I deemed him cool when he told me that although Yahtzee is smart, he is a complete airhead, which is totally true. He was of course well-traveled and I'm happy with any excuse to talk about Europe. He also seemed pleased when I knew basic information about finance, which even an idiot would know. And here is the best--he had a teenage daughter and for her upcoming 16th birthday was taking her and 10 of her friends to the South of France for a week. After telling us this, Yahtzee's reaction was "Uh for my 16th birthday I went bowling" which was just perfect.

Throughout the excessive dinner, which lasted about 3 hours, I made my rounds with the guys. I discussed with the guy who had picked us up in the Towncar how he had met his wife. I also made conversation with an Irish coworker who had joined the dinner late, and who turned out to be good friends with Hot Irish (my 1 Oak makeout). And I totally took advantage of the free food, eating all of my steak and half of Yahtzee's. Such a lady. I have no idea how much the bill was at the end of the night but I'm willing to bet it was at least a couple thousand dollars. Why thank you, unnamed investment bank, for that amazing "business dinner".

When we finally got up from the table, we all headed straight for the bar, where another few free drinks were handed to me. I ended up sitting with the Old Boss and he talked to me about his daughter and the little dog he had bought for her, which he of course takes care of. For some reason when he showed me pictures of her I decided to say that she looked like "she has a good head on her shoulders". I'm not sure what possessed me to say this, as she looked like a little slut in a zebra dress, but it was obviously the right thing for him. He was my number one fan--telling me that he wanted his daughter to turn out like me and telling Yahtzee that he would be lucky to find a girl like me. If only more guys shared this sentiment, especially ones who aren't old enough to be my father.
The night had flown by and when I checked the time to see if I still had time to make the party with Atl and GA I saw that it was after midnight. Yahtzee and I had had no idea it was so late and decided we needed to leave. Someone called us a car and again, within seconds, a towncar appeared outside for us. The Old Boss decided he would leave with us as well. Yahtzee's apartment turned out to be the first stop and then I was alone and drunk with the Old Boss in the backseat. I was slightly concerned that he may try and pull something but of course he did not. Outside my apartment he said he hoped that he would see me again and I lied and said I was sure he would. I hugged him and exited the car quickly, feeling weird that I was not totally put off by someone who was a huge nerd and had a daughter was who is only a few years younger than me. If it ever came down to it though, I don't think I could pull a golddigger move.
When I entered my apartment I had missed calls from Yahtzee who asked me if I made it home safely. What a good date. I confirmed and went to bed, unknowing that I was going to have my most hungover day at work to date the next day. All worth it though for free steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment