Monday, April 4, 2011

More Euro Background...

Now the weekend coming up is truly epic--Ultra Music Festival. This is a giant electro music fest in Miami and I fucking went. It was as ridiculous as it sounds. But first there are two stories from my time in Germany last year that need to be told so that Ultra can be truly appreciated.

The first: Deadmau5. For those of you living under a rock, he is a pretty popular DJ right now known for wearing a giant mousehead and sometimes passing out halfway through his sets. A couple months into my semester in Hamburg a group of us had tickets to go see him. This also coincided with the visit of two of my dear friends from DC--AD and ED. And this coincided with a particularly low point for me. All the partying and not sleeping had really started to take it's toll on me. I had a pesky girl problem which would not go away and I was paranoid that it was something much more sinister (obviously not the case). I was eating nothing but the occasional doner box, about 15 yogurts a day and to counteract that, drinking nothing but beer. I also had a sneaking suspicion something was going on underfoot with the stupid French guy I was dating (surprise I was right!). So this was not a good mix and led to my worst showing while in Europe.

So before the show a bunch of us met at our German friend's apartment in Borgweg to eat dinner and have some biers. I was probably late enough that I missed dinner, though I don't really remember. Either way I wasn't eating much. I started the night off with some Swedish cider, which I was overjoyed to find at the airport shop, since it was my favorite from my trips to Sweden. I then moved on to Carlsberg Elephant, which is about double the amount of alcohol as regular beer. After awhile we all walked to the U-bahn to take the train to St.Pauli. I had to pee (as is my life story) so walked to end of the track and popped a squat. Once on the train I apparently began to yell at strangers. I was amazingly let into Docks, the club where the show was. Once it started I remember really liking it, although I missed 75% of it--I was pretty busy making out with the stupid frenchy the entire time. Dmau5 only played for about an hour and a half and when he stopped I was pissed. Actually livid. The cider, the Carlsberg Elephant and whatever else I had drank was not a good mix and I was suddenly the beligerent fraulein. I began to yell about how much I hated him and how I was going to kick his ass. I actually walked up to the DJ booth looking for him so we could fight. Someone dragged me away and as we were waiting in line for our coats I suddenly turned my anger on Germany. I began to yell about how much I hated it, how terrible it was, which I do not and did not at all think is true. Though in my defense I had just finished dealing with a terrible German doctor, who did nothing to help me. And this is all in front of German friend's German friends. I'm sure I impressed them. So much so that when we exited out onto the Reeperbahn I was promptly left by everyone in our party, including frenchy, and was left with one of my baby friends who was almost as beligerent as I was. We somehow made it back to our apartments at Berliner Tor and I was pretty damn embarassed when I had to face everyone the next day.

Second story: the World Cup
Fast forward a couple of months and Germany is doing quite well in the World Cup. Hamburg had a public viewing of all the games on a giant screen in an empty field in St.Pauli. Of course we went to the majority of them and there was no way anyone was missing this game--Deutschland v. England, notorious rivals. I planned to show my support by sporting a pair of black, red and yellow granny panties with "Deutschland" written across the ass that I had found at the grocery store. My original plan was to wear them over leggings but when I woke up (hungover) the morning of, it was an ungodly temperature out. I decided to wear them under a dress and be secretly supportive. My Aussie friend and I headed to the field late and were greeted by the biggest crowd we had ever seen. We pushed our way to the spot where we were supposed to meet German friend (and his German friends). On the way I was manhandled by some old, drunk German men which was pretty terrifying. We miraculously found them and Germany ended up winning the match by a landslide. The crowd went nuts and to join in the celebration I whipped up my dress to flash my undies to German friend and his German friends (and also frenchy and his stupid frenchy friends who had joined us a bit later). It was a hit. Everyone laughed and pictures were taken and I was in no way embarassed.
We continued the celebration with the rest of the crowd down the Reeperbahn. It was madness--people and flags everywhere and carhorns going non-stop. After a bit we pushed our way down a sidestreet to get to another block which was a little less crowded. We were standing on a corner, watching the cars filled with fans drive past and debating where to go when German friend said he would buy me a beer if I flashed the undies again. Never one to turn down a challenge, I complied. We waited for the right target and spotting a convertible filled with men, I turned lifted my dress, and shook my Deutschland enscribed butt at the car while Aussie friend captured it on video. There was cheering as everyone in the car turned their heads to watch my show. We almost had a heart attack. Aussie friend of course posted this video to facebook the next day and no one could believe that I did something like this completely sober. A true Deutschland supporter, this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment