Thursday, June 21, 2012

Ridic as Usual

Ever since I had moved to Manhattan it seemed like things were non-stop. There was always something going on and since I lived in the midst of it, I told myself that I had no excuse to not take advantage. Though it was starting to take its toll. I was overtired all the time and after my shitshows the weekend before had developed a case of strep throat which had killed me for the week. I was finally starting to feel better in time for the weekend but I knew that I needed to take it easy. This particular Friday I had a party to go to in Williamsburg. It was one of JM's friend's bdays. My plan was to stop by for a bit and then head home. I showed up after a work happy hour and was glad to see that it was pretty relaxed. Just a small group of people sitting on her patio, passing around a bowl. The friend's roommate had an adorable cat, with a festive bow around it's neck, there was plenty of free food and I was pleased. I fed my face and talked to a couple of the guys, who were in town from Chicago. I mentioned that I would be there later in the summer for work and that we should all hang out because I didn't know anyone. To my surprise, one in particular seemed to agree with this and we exchanged contact info. He is not at all cute but it could be nice to have a friend, when I'm ready to escape working and want to drink some beers.
I hung out there for a couple of hours and then decided that it was time to head back home. I was hoping that I would be late enough to miss Atl and GF. They had plans to go out to one of GA's events that night and I didn't want to get coerced into going. But of course they were still hanging out at the apartment and coerce me they did (I'm easily swayed, as we know). So against my better judgement, I donned a dress I had not yet worn, some heels and headed out with them. The event in question was a charity event being held at Spin (the ping pong bar) so it seemed a little weird to be dressed up for this. The crowd consisted mainly of swamp donkeys, except for us, of course. We were on the fence until GA showed up and had a table with bottle service waiting for us. We drank and hammed it up for the photographer. These ended up being the sloppiest photos ever, so we decided to have a fat girl in a giraffe print dress (whom we nicknamed Bam Bam) try and take some pics of us as well. This did not turn out well either, as the shadow from her long fake nail were in the bottom corner of every one.
GA's boss showed up and soon after decided that we would all be heading to Meatpacking. GF and I were concerned--we had not ever had good luck in Meatpacking, besides the one time we had gotten into Le Bain. Usually the bouncers picked everyone around us to go in, leaving us heading for the local dive bar to drink away our sorrows. But that is where the group was heading, and GF and I were left to fend for ourselves when they all hopped into a cab ahead of us. Atl yelled that we should "find a fat girl" and then cackled as the cab drove by us. The whole way there I informed GF that he wasn't getting in, like the fabulous friend that I am. When we arrived at Double Seven I hesitatingly told the bouncer we were with the boss and to my surprise he lifted the rope and ushered us in with a smile. GF and I were convinced we were in an alternate universe, especially when we were led over the VIP section in the very middle of the club. We helped ourselves to plenty of Grey Goose and just enjoyed ourselves that night. The boss seemed pleased with all of this and started out by hitting on me and then turning his attentions to Atl. I finally decided to call it a night around 2:30, as my parents were coming into town the next morning.
I wasn't in the best shape the next morning, but carrying a ton of shit they had brought for me up 5 flights of stairs certainly helped me to sweat it out. We then proceeded to eat a big meal and then walk across the island of Manhattan to the High Line. I obviously didn't go out that night and passing out early helped a bit. They left the next afternoon and I of course decided to head to the event that Russian Rocher had invited me to--a Patricia Field party on the rooftop at 230 Fifth. She said that it was always amazing people watching, since everyone showed up in ridic costumes. I didn't have enough time nor energy to plan one so I showed up looking totally normal. But the costumes were absolutely ridic--it looked like Carnival. Feathers, sparkles, spandex and headdresses everywhere. I took it all in, while eating the fig newtons I had stashed in my purse then moving on to the free bbq, then to the Bok Choy that Russian Rocher's friend ordered. I also got a free drink from the bartender because they didn't have what I originally ordered, so between the free food and bevs and the crazy costumes, the evening was a win. Just an average weekend in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment