Sunday, March 4, 2012

Bosston (not Bawseton)

In the midst of the whole Mason ordeal I decided to take a last minute trip to Boston. Now I've had very bad luck with guys from Boston, but Mairey was working there for the week and had a free hotel room. So I decided to escape NYC for a day or so, to take my mind of the situation.
Mairey met me at South Station and we took the T to her hotel, which was in the middle of a huge mall. Retail therapy. We shopped, without even depositing my bags in the room, until we had to meet her friend at a sushi place for dinner. Said friend was also from the Cuse and had moved to Boston to escape that hellhole. Her boyfriend was the bartender at the restaurant so of course all our drinks were free, which was just what I needed. The text exchange with Mason had literally gone down just before dinner and I wanted to put it far behind me. Luckily d-lish spicy tuna rolls and champagne did the trick. Also the fact that Mairey's friend I figured out we had common friends (not so surprising since this is Cuse we are speaking of)--the two guys I had gone to Mardi Gras with. I knew that one of them had a good girl friend living in Boston but I had no idea it was her until we randomly hung out. Such a coincidence.
After dinner we met another girl from their crew and after taking forever to get ready we finally headed outside, where her friend was picking us up. He was a tiny little man, who looked like he should be an extra in 8 Mile, driving a BMW which reeked of weed. I have no complaints against this man though--he had a table at a club and I did not pay for a drink all night. We had the velvet rope lifted for us and were led to the vip section of the club, bypassing the huge line outside. Even though it's kind of sleaze, I still love getting into places vip (and I had even managed to the night before in Meatpacking with JM). Once settled in at our table, the largest bottle of Moet I have ever seen was brought over to us. I was in heaven--I love champagne and drank roughly 16 glasses throughout the course of the night. There was house music blasting so I was relieved about this. The shortie's friend showed up, who was the whitest black man I have ever encountered and had just returned from a tour of Afghanistan. Despite the see-through shirt I was wearing Mairey was the star of the night. The white/black guy was hitting on her but then when the shortie moved in, he gave up and then proceeded to hit on me. I wasn't pleased with being second choice but I refrained from being rude and talked to him anyway. This is how the night continued--I drank, I danced and at one point ended up standing on top of a couch with a rando guy, who informed me the girl shooting me death glares was his girlfriend. uh-byyye.


This is when things took a turn for the worst. I decided that I was going to remove Mason as a friend on facebook. Such an appropriate time to be doing that; I shouldn't have even taken my phone out with me. But in my state and with the impossibility of using facebook effectively on my phone I somehow ended up setting his name as my status. Just his name and I couldn't figure out how to delete it. I was drunk and panicked and promptly burst into tears of embarrassment. Black/white guy came over to save the day--he deleted Mason for me, deleted my status and literally wiped my tears away. It was very noble of him and I am thankful. Unfortunately I did not get to thank him before we were separated outside and it is likely he now thinks I am a bitch. I found Mairey and the girls, and informed them of what I had done, half-laughing and half-crying. They thought it was hilarious and luckily the bartender boyfriend was there to whisk us away for late-night Chinese. Mairey took me to the bathroom to get me acceptable-looking again and when we had returned he had ordered our food, along with beers in sprite cans, since it was past last call. He of course also paid for the whole thing and drove us back to the hotel. There are some nice guys out there after all.
Needless to say, the next morning Mairey and I were on our asses. We were finally able to stumble to brunch at 1pm. I felt like death and looked like it as well and of course this is where I literally saw the hottest man I have ever seen. I think I may have even stopped in my tracks as we walked by him. I spent the rest of brunch, peering over at his table to get a glimpse. Boston may be filled to the brim with hot guys, but the brunch is not so great. I really have started to take it for granted living in NYC, where every brunch, no matter how hungover I am, has been delicious.
After a nap, I was finally able to roll out of bed, just in time for it to be getting dark out. My cousin had recently moved to Boston and I had made plans to meet up with her. My aunt also happened to be in town, so it was going to be quite the family reunion. I cabbed to the bar overlooking Fenway, where they had been watching basketball for the afternoon. They were with a big group of people, including two of my aunt's friends and 3 of my cousins guy friends. We relocated to another bar, that was a perfect dive. Beers were handed to me and I tried not to salivate over the hot ass bartender. Cousin's guy friends were very nice, with thick Boston accents which was amusing. Speaking of thick accents, at one point a pretty drunk guy came up to me and said something. I asked him to repeat it but I still had no idea wtf he was talking about so I looked at everyone at the table for help. They were silent and shrugged. He repeated it once more but to no avail and then wandered away.
Later we migrated back to the area of my hotel. I was starving at this point so our group split up--Cousin and two of the guys and I went to eat Thai food while my aunt, her two friends and the other guy kept drinking at a bar across the street. During our "double date" I discovered that one of the guys also likes house music and often comes to nyc to visit some of his ibanker friends...intriguing. After din, my aunt and her friends were ready to head in, so Cousin had to take them back. The problem was, Mairey was still at dinner with her friends. I decided that I would just have to stay out and asked the two guys if they would mind me tagging along with the. They obvs didn't, so I followed them to a bar where they met up with some other friends. They  apparently all worked or had worked as waiters, and knew the bartender, so once again all drinks free. I ordered what I thought sounded like a delish whiskey cocktail, but turned out to be a highball of straight whiskey. Keep in mind that this was a Sunday night, not very late. But since it was free I had no qualms about not finishing the whole thing. I was pretty pleased at how this had turned out, and I had no problems being among strangers, basically.
When the time came I parted ways with them and met up with Mairey at the end of her dinner. The bartender boyfriend had apparently paid for everyone's and immediately ordered me a drink when I walked in. These people were all so nice and so welcoming and it was exactly what I needed after yet another dating disaster. They even helped to eradicate some of my preconceived notions about Boston and I'm looking forward to going back.
And as a follow up, I did text Baweston when I decided I was going to be making the trip. He seemed enthusiastic about hanging out but then he never responded to my follow up text until a couple days after the weekend saying he had "gotten too loose" and lost his phone. Sure, flake. Oh, boys....

No comments:

Post a Comment